Summer Driving Tips to Keep Your Community Safe
Now that summer break is here and the kids are out of school, there are more people spending time outside during the day, playing in their yards. Our team at Gerstad Builders would like to remind everyone to drive safely, especially during these next few months. Letâ€™s keep our children and family members safe in our communities.
We are asking everyone to slow down this summer because schoolâ€™s out and so are the kids.Â Also, parents please remember to remind the young drivers in your household to be extra careful when they are out on the roads. Also, caution your children to watch out for drivers before they cross the street. As an added precaution, designate an object in the yard that you let your young children know they cannot go beyond. Letâ€™s all do our part to keep our communities safe.
In addition to the above tips, here are some general safety reminders to follow when driving through communities where kids are at play:
- Come to a complete stop at all stop signs. It is easy to make a habit of rolling through a stop sign when most of the time there arenâ€™t many cars on the street. However, during the summer months more kids are out and about and could be crossing the road at a stop sign that you usually roll through.
- Be aware at all cross walks. Cross walks during the summer are busier because more people are out. Be sure to slow down at all cross walks and stop if needed. Remember pedestrians, even jaywalkers, have the right away.
- Slow down in general. Itâ€™s always easier to avoid an accident when you are driving with caution. Slow down while driving through your community. Even if you donâ€™t see any children near the road, you never know when some ball or kid could get loose.
- Donâ€™t use your phone while driving. You hear this all the time and yet people still use their phones while driving. Parents, please continue to remind your young drivers of this, not only for the communityâ€™s sake but for their safety. According to a report by Cohen Medical Center in 2103, texting while driving is now the leading cause of death among teenagers.
- Be alert and aware of your surroundings. Make a conscious effort to give 100 percent of your attention to safe driving in our communities this summer.
For more tips from Gerstad Builders, visit our website at www.GerstadBuilders.com.