Hunting Safety Tips
Gerstad Buildersâ€™ communities in Northern Illinois and Southern Wisconsin are located within easy distance of hunting grounds for outdoor recreation during the 2017-2018 winter hunting season. Participants should take advantage of this, but need to be careful to adhere to the rules and these safety tips so everyone can enjoy their excursions without injury.
- Keep an eye on your gun.
Always assume that your gun and the guns belonging to your hunting party are loaded. Even if youâ€™re positive itâ€™s not loaded, you donâ€™t want to run the risk of accidentally shooting someone. If you are using a new gun, make sure you know everything about how it works before you go hunting with it. If you are not using a new gun and a new hunting season is about to start, make sure your gun has been serviced and is working the way it should. Finally, be sure to keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.
- Pay attention to your surroundings.
Be confident that your target is an animal and that there are no humans near your target. Make sure the barrel is pointed down if you are walking with your gun and unload the gun if you are climbing a tree, fence or into or out of a stand. Wear bright colors that will stand out against your surroundings. This may seem counterproductive to hiding from your target, but it will keep you from being shot at or you shooting at another person. Make sure that if you bring a hunting dog, it is wearing a bright vest also.
- Here are some other things to know.
- Maintain three points of contact when climbing into a treestand: two hands, one foot.
- In dark conditions, use a small flashlight to identify yourself to other hunters as a human.
- Wear a fall restraint device if you are climbing, sitting or coming down from a treestand.
- Pull your gun or bow up with a rope, and make sure your gun is unloaded.
- Be familiar with your stateâ€™s laws and regulations and follow them!
Happy hunting! Keep yourself, your hunting party and other hunting parties safe by following these tips. Enjoy the gorgeous natural backdrop of Northern Illinois and Southern Wisconsin. If you want to make this area your home, look no further than a Gerstad Builders community by visiting www.GerstadBuilders.com.