Appliance Spring Cleaning Time!
When the weather is dreary on a weekend, it is hard to find something fun to do outside. However, there are many activities to do indoors. For instance, think about doing some appliance cleaning. Gather up the family and distribute buckets, sponges, paper towels and rubber gloves. In this blog post, Gerstad Builders has some appliance cleaning tips that every homeowner will find helpful.
Prior to starting, make sure to check the manual to see the cleaning recommendations. Newer washing machines have a special sanitizing cycle that will clean the inside of your machine. If you have a front loader, wipe the rubber seal and dry thoroughly to prevent the build up.
As with the washing machine, check the owner’s manual prior to getting started. First, unplug your dryer prior to cleaning it. Using a soft cloth, start with the exterior. Clean around all the buttons and knobs. Next pull out the lint trap screen, use warm soapy water to clean and rinse when done. Let it air dry prior to putting it back. While the trap is drying, look inside the dryer and remove any threads, dirt and any other items that are stuck inside the drum. There are many homemade solutions that can be created to wipe out the inside, however, make sure to check the manual and use only what has been approved by the company.
As we have said earlier in the post, make sure to check the manual prior to getting started to ensure you are following the recommendations. It is a good idea to give your refrigerator a deep sanitizing clean. How often you do this is up to you.
- Start by removing everything from your refrigerator and freezer. That includes all food containers and removable parts. For example; drawers and shelves.
- Throw out any food items that are expired and old. Scrub the containers to remove any stains by using warm soapy water. After that, if you want, use a disinfecting wipe to clean out again and leave out to dry.
- Next it is time to tackle the fridge and freezer shelves. Use a bucket of warm soapy water to remove any spilled food and other items that might be stuck to the shelves. Do not forget the inside of the doors. Plus, use a disinfectant spray cleaner to ensure all germs have been removed. Let dry completely.
- Another way to clean inside your fridge is to fill a spray bottle with a DIY cleaning solution. The recipe is simple: use two tablespoons of baking soda and a quart of hot water. Spray the solution on the entire interior of the refrigerator, including the walls, non-removable shelves and inside the doors. Wipe the solution down with a microfiber cloth or a clean sponge.
- Finally, use a vacuum hose under the fridge, wipe down the exterior and top of the refrigerator.
- Once all this is complete, the drawers and shelves plus all the food containers.
Last but not least, the dishwasher, which is one appliance that should get a deep cleaning. However, this appliance does tend to get overlooked by homeowners. Before starting, pull out the owner’s manual and see what type of cleaners the company suggests. Wiping down the outside on a consistent basis is fine, but do not bypass the deep cleaning.
- Check the bottom of the dishwasher and remove any debris and food scraps. Use a clean cloth to wipe the bottom.
- Clean the filter, only if it is removable. Check the owner’s manual given to you by Gerstad prior to moving into your new home.
- Lastly, deep clean the interior to remove any grime. Looking at the owner’s manual will give you the appropriate type of cleaner to use.
An important appliance that many people forget about is the microwave. If the microwave is not taken care of properly, you can have some issues. One recommendation is to microwave water in a microwavable container for approximately 1 minute 30 seconds. After doing this, wipe down with a warm damp cloth. This should remove most build up and tough stains.
Next wipe up the microwave tray rotation circle, since the smallest crumb can prevent the tray from rotating correctly which will impact food cooking. Finish up by wiping the grime on the sides of the microwave as they can absorb microwave radiation which can also impact the cooking ability of the microwave. Reminder: do not microwave anything with metal.
If you have any questions regarding the cleaning of your appliances, Gerstad Builders will answer any questions that you have. Click here to contact them or call (815) 385-4830.