Appliance Cleaning Tips from Gerstad Builders
If you are looking for some family activities to do at home, think about doing some appliance cleaning. Gather the family, buckets, sponges, rubber gloves and paper towels to start appliance cleaning. Especially since the COVID-19 pandemic, there is a need to keep our homes sanitized and clean. For instance: refrigerator, dishwasher, washing machine, and dryer.
Here are appliance cleaning tips that Gerstad Builders homeowners will find helpful.
Prior to getting started cleaning your fridge, check the manual to ensure you are following the recommendations. Every week you and your family put away groceries inside the fridge. Some people are wiping the items with sanitizing wipes prior to putting them away and some are not. Either way, it is a good idea to give your refrigerator a deep sanitizing clean.
- Start by removing everything from your refrigerator and freezer. That includes all food containers and any removable parts. Such as; shelves and drawers.
- Throw out any food items that are old and expired. Scrub the containers to remove stains using warm water and soap. After that, use a disinfecting wipe to clean again and leave out to dry.
- Next, are the freezer and fridge shelves. Use a fresh bucket of warm water and soap to remove any spilled food and other items stuck to them. Plus, use a disinfectant spray cleaner to ensure all germs have been removed. Dry completely. Another way to clean the inside of your fridge is to fill a spray bottle with a DIY cleaning solution. Use two tablespoons of baking soda and a quart of hot water. Spray the solution to the entire interior of the refrigerator, including the walls, any non-removable shelves and the inside doors. Wipe the solution down with a microfiber cloth or a clean sponge.
- The inside is the next step. First, use a clean rag or sponge and a disinfectant cleaner to scrub the inside of the freezer and fridge. Do not forget the inside of the doors! The shelves and drawers can be put back after this step has been completed. Second, put all the food containers back.
- Finally, use a vacuum hose under the fridge, wipe the top, and wipe down the exterior of the refrigerator.
In addition to the fridge, the dishwasher is one appliance that definitely should get a deep cleaning. However, this appliance often gets overlooked by some homeowners. Look at the owner’s manual to see what type of cleaners the company suggests. Wiping down the outside consistently is fine but do not bypass the deep cleaning.
- Check the bottom of the dishwasher and remove any debris and food scraps. Use a clean cloth to wipe the bottom as well.
- Clean the filter, only if it is removable. Check the owner’s manual given to you upon moving into your Gerstad home.
- Lastly, deep clean the interior to remove any grime. Again review the owner’s manual to see what type of cleaner is recommended.
As with the other appliances, make sure to check the manual to see the cleaning recommendations. In this modern day, newer washing machine models have a special sanitizing cycle that will clean out the inside. If you have a front loader, make sure to wipe the rubber seal and let it dry thoroughly to prevent any mold build up.
Check the owner’s manual before you get started. Prior to cleaning your dryer, unplug it. Start with the exterior using a soft cloth. Clean around all the knobs and buttons. Next pull out the lint trap screen, use warm soapy water to clean and rinse. Let it air dry prior to putting it back. While the trap is drying look inside the dryer and remove any dirt, threads and any other items that get stuck inside the drum. There are many homemade solutions that you can create to wipe out the inside, however make sure to check the manual to use only what has been approved by the company.
Cleaning these appliances on a regular basis plus, doing a monthly deep clean helps keep your them in proper working order. During this pandemic, the importance of keeping items sanitized is essential and that includes items in your home that you might not have thought about. Remember, prior to starting any deep cleaning of your appliances, check the manuals to see the recommended cleaning solutions.
Gerstad Builders is here to answer any questions that you might have about cleaning any of the items in your home. Click here to contact them through the website or call at (815) 385-4830.