Stay Safe Driving to and from your Gerstad Home this Winter
Winter weather means that there will be plenty of ice and snow on the roads for the next several months. While the white powder may be fun for winter recreation near your Richmond, McHenry, Williams Bay or Poplar Grove real estate, it can pose a real threat to driving conditions.
Here are a few winter weather driving tips for staying safe traveling to and from your home:
- Decrease your speed and leave plenty of room to stop. You should allow at least three times more space between yourself and the car in front of you than you normally would.
- Don’t slam on the brakes; brake gently to avoid skidding.
- Always turn on your lights to make sure you are visible to other motorists.
- Never drive with ice or snow on your windshield, mirrors or the rear of your car. Either scrape these off or wait for your car to warm up before driving.
- Try to keep your gas tank at least halfway full to avoid gas line freeze-up.
- Don’t turn on your cruise control if driving on a slippery surface.
- Equip you car with emergency supplies such as a flashlight, extra batteries, a first aid kit, warm clothes, a blanket and bottled water.
Of course, if the weather is really bad or you feel uncomfortable driving, the best bet is to stay at your Williams Bay, Poplar Grove, McHenry or Richmond home. Our energy efficient homes are designed to keep heat in without costing you extra money, and many include gas or wood burning fireplaces, so you can curl up with a good book, watch a movie or play a board game with your family while you wait out the snow.
To learn more about all of our new home options in McHenry at Liberty Trails, in Poplar Grove at The Trails of Dawson Creek, in Richmond at The Trails of Pheasant Ridge and in Williams Bay at Bailey Estates, give us a call at 815-385-4495.